February is the month love comes to our minds. So we wanted to share with you what we love about agri-food in Northumberland County. There’s so much happening in the agri-food sector in our county, and we chose 5 parts of the agri-food chain we thought you’d love to know more about.1. Growing agricultural sector: In Northumberland County, we create 200 agricultural products. There are over 97,000 hectares of farmland in use, and we’re well known for our apple production, which is 50% higher here in our county than the provincial average.
2. Food 4 All: A local, non-profit food distribution warehouse located in Cobourg, Ontario. Food 4 All is a collaborative project ensuring a high level of food security in our county while fighting to alleviate hunger through food banks and meals programs -- where they feed thousands.
3. Farmers’ Markets: There are 5 farmers’ markets in Northumberland County that sell us fresh produce regularly — Campbellford, Codrington, Cobourg, Hastings and Port Hope.
4. Northumberland Beer and Cider Breweries: We have three beer breweries — Williams Street Beer, Northumberland Hills Brewery and Church Key Brewing — as well as two cider producers — 401 Cider and Empire Cider.
What OAFVC Does for Agri-Food in Northumberland County
OAFVC is a non-profit, small batch food processing facility that includes:
- safe food production
- food storage
- knowledgeable staff on site
- resources for local networking
- packaging development assistance
- packaging services