Navigating the business grants available to you can leave a small business owner with more questions than answers. Let us provide some options and clarity. Learn what financial resources are available for businesses like yours in the Northumberland County: there are many categories that you can apply under and get the funding you need.
Here are three business grant that can apply to your business.
3 Ways to get Business Grants as a Food Entrepreneur
The cost-share financial grants provided at the CAP cover 3 main areas:
- Economic development - specifically for the agri-food and agri-product sectors.
- Environmental stewardship - supporting water quality and soil health.
- Protection and assurance - public trust for food safety and plant and animal health.
There are 19 categories available to your food business. This grant lets producers, processors, and food entrepreneurs apply for a variety of financial aids. For example, you can apply as a processor with less than 200 employees for up to $75,000 for product or process development. Other areas to apply for financial assistance include, but aren’t limited to:
- Business plans - This step can be intimidating if you’re just starting out.
- Training for food safety and traceability system improvements - A great application if you’re needing an initial food safety certification to get your business up and running.
- Educational grants for varying training, assessment and planning - So you can stay at the top of your game for any new facility, operations or general production or processing upgrades your company may need.
As a food entrepreneur, extra cash from the Canadian Agricultural Partnership can help you expand and meet the growth goals you have for your business.
This organization provides financial aid for businesses looking to create new jobs and expand further in eastern Ontario. It supports projects that create jobs, promote innovation and more. If expansion and growth are at the top of your mind for your food business this year, this grant may apply. It is restricted to areas of eastern Ontario, including:
- Ottawa and more
To apply for this business grant, you must:
- Employ at least 10 people
- Commit to creating at least 10 jobs
- Provide 3 years of financial statements
- Be located in eastern Ontario
- Invest at least $500,000 in your project
If you’re a food entrepreneur in the Northumberland County considering taking big steps for your business, this grant could help you realize your goals.
This program lends up to $10,000 per applicant to Ontario based agri-food businesses looking to build international relationships that will help with the innovation of the Ontario agri-food sector.
If you are a food entrepreneur with sights on an international trip to expand your business and contribute to Ontario’s growth, this business grant is worth applying for. Its primary criteria include:
- You must show prior contact between your business and the the organization you want to contact with abroad and show there’s high potential of closing a deal.
- The deal you want to make must benefit Ontario’s agriculture sector.
- This potential deal must be innovative and applicable to the Ontario’s agri-food, agri-tech or agri-products sector.
Consider the Ontario Agri-Food Technologies Rapid Response Program if you are ready to close international deals and further contribute to your own growth as well as Ontario’s agriculture sector.
If you’re interested in this grant, please note that the OAFVC is only licensed to process food that distributes within Ontario. But our organization is here to serve the needs of food businesses in our area and we are happy to help you reach these goals through our business services.
These are just three of many business grants you can apply for as a food entrepreneur. Although there’s some navigating to do to see if your business is suited for the grants, it’s a small step to take for your business to expand into new markets, process larger orders and realize the return on investment you are seeking.
Why Wait for a Business Grant to Improve
Learn from the pros at the OAFVC how to ensure your maximizing the profit potential in your processes.