A commercial kitchen is used for efficient processing of larger batches of foods. Typically, commercial kitchens include equipment for canning, fermenting, and dehydrating foods. The equipment tends to be larger and must meet all federal and provincial health standards. In the commercial facilities at the Ontario Agri-Food Centre (OAFVC), several rooms are available for booking. We recommend starting with a half-day trial run to see how our space works for your business.
Why a Commercial Kitchen is Your Best Food Processing Location
Meet Health and Safety Regulations
- A commercial kitchen is a high-hygiene room, where room temperature and humidity are controlled. This is critical for food safety.
- A produce soak area is a hygiene bath for fruits/veggies. After soaking, clean produce is then transferred to a sort table for slicing and dicing. You can even wash and package whole produce.
- After each rental, OAFVC disassembles and cleans everything to sanitize the space for other users.
Use High-Quality Commercial Equipment
- With high-quality commercial equipment, you get consistent, professional results every time.
- Hard piped gas appliances are plug and play style, requiring minimal training. Staff are available onsite to answer any questions about the equipment.
- Flash freeze products with liquid nitrogen, which takes only minutes compared to a regular freezer.
- Use gas-flame cooking for smaller pots, or the double-stacked convection oven for baking multiple batches.
- Use the tilting kettle or tilting skillet for even heat distribution.
- Machines can be moved in and out of the space as needed (e.g., commercial dishwasher, popcorn machine.)
Process Multiple Products Simultaneously
- Rent the entire kitchen or share with family members or friends who make a complementary product.
- You can bring staff with you, or get help from staff on site, so that you can perform multiple processes at the same time, such as:
- Washing and sanitizing
- Slicing, dicing, peeling, shredding
- Cold pressing e.g., beet juice, safflower oil
- Centrifuge drying
- Popping corn
Make Your Craft Brewing More Efficient
- The top-quality hops pelletizer can make 650 lbs of pellets per day.
- Try using different varieties of hops to create new flavours.
Develop New Products
Use our product development lab to experiment with new products and perform a variety of tests, such as water activity, PH, quality and viscosity tests. We can even determine shelf life and nutritional information for you.
Benefit From Other Included Services
- Business consultations
- Nutritionist and chef consultations
- Confidential product development
- In-house graphic design services
- Label printing (including bar codes)
- Vacuum packaging: removes air from package and injects carbon dioxide and nitrogen as needed
- MAP (modified atmosphere packaging)
- Tamper-evident sealing equipment
- Equipment for heat-sealing pouches
- Corrugated casing
- Coding and taping
Store Fresh or Processed Food (for an additional fee)
- Cold Storage can hold up to 30 pallets total; continuously monitored
- Freezer can hold up to 70 pallets
- Dry storage is also available
Why a Commercial Kitchen Best Meets Your Needs
A commercial kitchen is better than using your home or community kitchen because it:
- Is cost-effective
- Provides access to expensive and specialized equipment
- Creates a supportive, reliable network
Download this commercial kitchen map, then book a trial date to continue exploring all the useful and affordable services available at OAFVC.